[ntp:questions] Re: NTP client for windows ce.net

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Nov 26 02:15:10 UTC 2003

"Maarten Wiltink" <maarten at kittensandcats.net> wrote in message news:<3fbfe357$0$1499$e4fe514c at news.xs4all.nl>...
> "Terje Mathisen" <terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com> wrote in message
> news:bpoi3k$vj6$1 at osl016lin.hda.hydro.com...
> > Maarten Wiltink wrote:
> > > "Terje Mathisen" <terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com> wrote in message
> > > news:bpodgk$smh$1 at osl016lin.hda.hydro.com...

> > > People keep saying that, and my (admittedly quiet) NT4 servers keep
> > > synchronising to well under a microsecond.
> >
> > "WELL under a MICROsecond"???
> >
> > I've never even heard about any other OS than FreeBSD doing this, and
> > that only with a replacement motherboard crystal and a Motorola Oncore.
> >
> > Please tell!
>
> Er, I've made a mistake. I should have said millisecond. I meant to.
>
> And the one that just made the tape backup drifted out to 1.339, so I
> can't claim it's all the time, either.

> >> But it's a well-understood hack, and it works.
> >
> > Sure, but would it be available on Win CE .Net, with a virtual machine
> > running either interpreted or with JIT compilation?
>
> Probably not. Operating systems differ in the interface they offer their
> applications. That doesn't invalidate the Windows NT implementation of
> NTP's using what it can.
>
> Groetjes,
> Maarten Wiltink

You can't run ntpd as I don't believe it supports iocompletion ports, let
alone services. You should bother with virtual machines, it's bad news
especially for an app. that is going to set the time. Look for a client
only app that runs on Win9x but obeys all the rules like KoD, etc and not
too frequent requests for time.

Danny