[ntp:questions] Re: new to ntp

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Wed Nov 26 03:55:04 UTC 2003

On 2003-11-26, Va David <vadavid at cmac.org.kh> wrote:

> vadavid at cmac.org.kh (Va David) wrote in message
> news:<a0195fb2.0311250220.1bccc32a at posting.google.com>...
>
>> I am new to ntp on RedHat Linux 7.3. I could never synchronize the
>> time with Linux ntp server from my WinXP laptop. Would anyone please
>> tell me step by step on how to?
>>
>> Any kind help would greatly appreciated.
>
> I found no instructions from the ground up. Would anyone please give
> me a corrcet sample ntp.conf? My RedHat 7.3 box is right behind
> Symantec firewall box. I want it to be its own time server source and
> all Windows clients be synchronized with it. Is it possible? If so,
> how?

Once you install the NTP software and start it running, you
must provide it with a source of time information, either a
reference clock, or with the addresses of other NTP daemons.
http://twiki.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/GettingStarted describes the
critical steps of installing the software and configuring NTP to obtain
time from other NTP daemons. Information about using a reference clock
with NTP is at http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/refclock.html.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take a look at the "Getting Started with NTP" page at
http://twiki.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/GettingStarted

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>
The Official NTP Documentation and FAQ are linked from