[ntp:questions] Re: Suppressing IP6; Keeping /dev/ppsX; simple MSF clocks and monitors

John Hay jhay at dolphin.icomtek.csir.co.za
Wed Nov 26 05:55:12 UTC 2003

: >> But when I actually came to have to restart ntpd the
: >> host was resolved to an IP6 address and ntpd started complaining that
: >> there was no route to host. The only way I've managed to start ntpd and
: >> include this host is to specify it by IP4 IP address in ntp.conf
: >
: > Hmmm.  What happens when there is both an IPv4 address for a host name
: > and an IPv6 address?
: >

: My experience is that 4.2.0 will choose the IPv6 address over the IPv4
: address.

That actually depends on your OS. Ntpd just does a dns lookup using
getaddrinfo() and use the first address returned.

John