[ntp:questions] Synchronization gets lost when disconnected

Florian Effenberger floeff at arcor.de
Wed Nov 26 15:55:04 UTC 2003

Hi there,

I run NTP on a dialup router in order to provide my clients with the
current time. In my /etc/ntp.conf I have

server ###IP of external time server one### iburst prefer
server ###IP of external time server one### iburst prefer
server 127.127.1.0 iburst
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 13

As this is a dialup router, sometimes the connection gets lost. In
order to prevent startup errors (name resolution), I already have
entered the IP of the external time server, not it's host name.

However, after the connection drops for a while, I get

sendto(###IP###): Invalid argument

until I restart the NTP server. Do you have any ideas on how to omit
that other than to manually stop and restart NTP at each dialup?

Thanks
Florian