[ntp:questions] NTP clients not throttling back is this behaviour RFC compliant?

Chris Stenton jacs at gnome.co.uk
Thu Nov 27 11:07:29 UTC 2003

Following a discussion on another list about win XP and other poorly written
clients could someone clarify this for me.

If an NTP  server starts dropping packets because its client is polling too
fast, is the client RFC compliant if it keeps polling at the same rate
regardless of the fact that the packets are being dropped?

If as I suspect that it is not compliant for version 4 of the protocol what
about earlier revisions?

Thanks

Chris