[ntp:questions] Re: Tinker freq freq

Dusty Bin junkmail at mmscomms.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 28 08:58:12 UTC 2003

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 06:35:23 +0000, "David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu>
wrote:

Thanks Dave,

>Why in the world woud you do this?
It is perhaps related to the thread "is there a way to "lock" the drift
frequency", which stimulated this experiment.  There are three machines
running ntp on w2k here, but one oaccaisionally exhibits a fairly extreme
transient behaviour, including the drift value becomng anomalous.

>Edit the intial frequency offset in
>the ntp.drift file and forget the tinker.
That is what I have been doing.  I just wondered if the trinker approach
might allow me to restart the NTP service without needing to worry about
whether the drift value in ntp.drift is sensible or not.

>As said many time in the
>documentation, the tinker stuff is a crock, not maintainable and
>probably subject to lawsuits on the presumption of reckless
>endangerment.
This was well understood, I just thought it was worth giving it a whirl.

>> I am running 4.2.0 on w2k.
>> When I set tinker freq  in the conf file with the normal drift value
>> of my machine and restart, ntpd reports it obtained it's intial value
>> from the drift file and is not using the tinker value.  Am I doing
>> something wrong?

Cheers