[ntp:questions] Re: Using NTP in broadcast mode with no reverse link

Dale Worley worley at dragon.ariadne.com
Sun Nov 30 16:36:48 UTC 2003

ben at somanetworks.com (Ben Gamsa) writes:
> I'd like to configure it in a way that hard codes the one way
> latency and completely avoids the initial burst-mode startup
> exchanges (or any other exchanges that might occur later due to time
> problems).

(I'm weak on this subject, but no one else has answered.)

I think that's what 'broadcastclient' *does*.  As long as you have no
server/peer lines, NTP can't do an initial burst.  (And there's an
option you can turn off to suppress the burst, anyway.)

The biggest problem I forsee is that if the clock on a client is off
too far, NTP may reject any broadcast packets it sees, and never sync
the clock.  Though you may be able to adjust NTP or write a custom
program to wait for a broadcast packet and directly force the local
clock to that time.

Dale