[ntp:questions] Re: very new to NTP..

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Oct 2 16:21:58 UTC 2003

> 2. What are the main differences between SNTP 4 and NTP 4?

NTP (4) has a much more complex interaction between client and server, and
typically a software phase and frequency locked loop on the client.  With
SNTP you can send one packet and get the time back in another - and then
your local clock from that.  I.e. step the clock and let its rate be
uncontrolled.  With full NTP you need rate control of the clock.  If a
second ot so would do you for accuracy, SNTP might be enough.

> 3. Does the ntp.org s/w implement NTP 4 or SNTP 4?

NTP

David