[ntp:questions] Re: Latest changes to TWiki GettingStarted

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Sun Oct 5 02:40:12 UTC 2003

>IMHO, the monolithic structure is necessary -- The point is to get the
>user from zero to "ntp synced" as easily as possible.  An information
>source that needs to be navigated works against usability.  The best
>is a single document that can be read and acted upon in linear order.

It's nice to have a single document that tells you everything you
need to know.  The flip side is that if it has too much, then
you have troubles finding the important stuff.

I think there are two kinds of info you need when getting started.
One is the overview, the general concepts.  I can usually read that
sort of thing once and not need to go back very often.  The other
kind of document is the details.

Can the overview be split out?  Would that help?  (I'm assuming there
would be a sentence at the top saying "Go read this".)

How different are various OSs or environments?  Would it make sense
to have separate documents for Windows, BSD*, Red-Hat, ???