[ntp:questions] Re: Latest changes to TWiki GettingStarted

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Sun Oct 5 15:38:57 UTC 2003

At 11:42 PM +0000 2003/10/04, Dale Worley wrote:

>  IMHO, the monolithic structure is necessary -- The point is to get the
>  user from zero to "ntp synced" as easily as possible.

	I don't think that's feasible.  In order to make that happen, you
have to make too many assumptions about the version of NTP they're
using, the platform they're on, the OS they're running, the package
management system they're using, etc....

	Once you factor all these other issues in, the result is a
monolithic document that collapses under it's own weight.

>                                                         An information
>  source that needs to be navigated works against usability.  The best
>  is a single document that can be read and acted upon in linear order.

	I think Ted Nelson and Tim Berners-Lee would disagree.  I think
most book authors would disagree.

	Sometimes, you have no choice but to navigate.

>  Of course, that does increase the effort needed to maintain it, since
>  you can't just edit a sentence here or there without considering its
>  impact on the rest of the document.  But it seems to me that getting
>  one's ntpd configuration started is the single largest barrier to NTP
>  adoption.

	That is one barrier, yes.  Another huge barrier is the fact that
vendors don't stay anywhere remotely up-to-date on the versions they
ship, and that there is so much other documentation out there (from
other sources) which is so incredibly bad.