[ntp:questions] Re: Latest changes to TWiki GettingStarted

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Oct 5 17:29:38 UTC 2003

"Brad Knowles" <brad.knowles at skynet.be> wrote in message
news:mailman.1.1065374341.1751.questions at ntp.org...
> At 8:05 AM +0000 2003/10/05, David J Taylor wrote:
>
> >  I believe that pre-compiled versions with simple Quick Start
documentation
> >  would encourage a wider use of NTP.
>
> I don't see where the NTP Project can accomplish this goal
> effectively.  There are too many platforms, with too many OSes, under
> too many different versions, using too many different packaging
> tools.  This is something the vendors need to do.
>
> Indeed, many vendors do already ship pre-compiled binaries.  The
> problem is that the binaries they ship are usually years and years
> out of date.  We need them to ship more current versions.

Without wishing to labour this point, I was really holding up the Windows
port as an example of providing an easy to use package, that fits on a
large number of the world's clients.  For most people running clients
rather than servers, a simple one page of installations instructions is
more than adequate.  In this case, the "Vendor" is part of the "project".
I am afraid I don't know if he is also part of the NTP Project.

Cheers,
David