[ntp:questions] Re: Latest changes to TWikiGettingStarted

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Sun Oct 5 21:10:10 UTC 2003

At 8:14 PM +0000 2003/10/05, David L. Mills wrote:

>  Can you cite examples where a sysadmin in Outer Mongolia wishing to
>  install NTP in a Chinese ripoff of Unix for an IBM mainframe (!) does
>  NOT have access to a browser of some kind?

	When I install servers, I do so completely disconnected from the
network, or at least to the greatest degree possible.  Ideally, it's
me, the machine, a serial console, and a CD-ROM.  Even for machines
that are in a co-lo facility thousands of miles away, I'll still do
it the same way -- the only difference is that the serial console is
a connection to a terminal server that I can connect to via ssh.

	If a web browser ever gets installed on the machine, it will most
likely be well after the machine has been set up and reasonably
secured (host level firewalling, etc...), and even then it will be a
text-mode browser like lynx or links.  Even that's pretty rare.

>                                                              With this in
>  mind, I tried to avoid anything fancy in the HTML format, so that those
>  pages should light up fairly well even in a text-only browser. Most
>  product manuals today require Acrobat, but I won't get into that.

	So long as all the HTML documentation is also available in a pure
text format, I wouldn't have any issues with that.

	However, access is only one part of the problem.  The other part
of the problem is the content itself.