[ntp:questions] Re: Latest changes toTWikiGettingStarted

Harlan Stenn stenn at maccarony.ntp.org
Mon Oct 6 04:21:36 UTC 2003

In article <mailman.9.1065409243.1751.questions at ntp.org>,
David L. Mills <mills at udel.edu> wrote:

>Having said that, I don't agree at all with your assumption the target
>machine has to be set up and presumably secured before a browser is
>installed.

That's fine, and you are both arguing your preferences for "local"
(to each of you) POLICY decisions.

I am concerned with MECHANISM issues.  The mechanism should be robust
enough to support a variety of local policy choices.

Given that Dave will be using GoLive for his HTML pages and nobody has
found a good way to convert these pages into other formats (I'm not sure
if the existing html2man script will actually convert the .html files into
useful .mak mages) this means we will be supporting a variety of formats
for a while.

>Why assume the documentation is viewable on the target
>machine at all? I've got some machines running NTP that will never
>support a browser. Several machines on the wires here and in several
>foreign countries are or have been installed and serviced via serial
>console exactly as you say. For entertaining examples, see the SIGCOM
>paper on the Fuzzball at www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/papers.html.

I'm talking about documentation that the installer sees.

There is a separate issue for runtime configuration of ntp.  This problem
can get worse when multiple versions of ntp are running on different
platforms.

How about we agree that there is plenty of room for both improvement
and mistakes and leave each other to our own progress?

>To clarify the mantoad/webfrog thing, Harlan gets mad at me when I ask
>that alternate formats not be provided in the documentation collection
>itself, but that they be easily produced using supplied scripts.

Then we misunderstood each other.

I have been fighting for permission to keep the distribution at its
current size and have the *build* process produce the documents in
an alternative form.  By my read of your previous responses to these
requests you have forbidden this.

By your response above I will assume that my previous was indeed a
misunderstanding and I am now free to proceed along my original path.
The distribution will remain at its present size and I will provide a
(probably optional) mechanism to produce things like man pages.