[ntp:questions] Re: Latest changes to TWiki GettingStarted

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Mon Oct 6 07:14:00 UTC 2003

[Context is Apple's GUI install stuff]

>	It is not sufficient to have one and only one answer to the
>question of "which NTP server should I use?"  It is not sufficient to
>be unable to provide additional configuration options (e.g., iburst,
>prefer, etc...) in the definition for one or more servers.

Devil's advocate here...

I think we should be praising Apple for making it easy to get NTP
going on their boxes, AND for providing ntp servers for their
customers rather than adding to the load on the main public servers.

Why isn't one server enough for a random home/office workstation?
I know that's not a "real" NTP server, but is it good enough for
most users?  Why would they care about a ms as compared to a second?
(The old way was to set the time by hand when it got bad enough
to be noticed so this seems great to me.)

I'm willing to put things like iburst and prefer into the wizard
category and let people who need them edit their config file by
hand.