[ntp:questions] Re: Latest changes to TWiki GettingStarted

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Mon Oct 6 07:30:05 UTC 2003

Brad Knowles <brad.knowles at skynet.be> wrote in message news:<mailman.1.1065374341.1751.questions at ntp.org>...
> 	In terms of creating tools to automate this, I don't see how the
> NTP Project can do that.  Again, I think only the vendors really have
> the wherewhithal necessary to make this happen.

And the quality of a vendor-supplied default config can be highly
variable.  Some of the vendor-supplied ntpd binaries are really
ancient and will not take the ntp.conf options that have been developed
in the past 4 or 5 years.

The other attitude is that the vendor-supplied ntp.conf's often have
really boneheaded stupid and in some cases poisonous settings.  e.g.
the LOCAL refclock at stratum 0, etc.

> 	Some vendors do already have tools to build the very simplest of
> configurations -- Apple includes one with MacOS X that allows you to
> specify which of three single time servers (provided by them) that
> you want to use.  IMO, this is not sufficient.

One (although not the only) choice to solve this problem is the
pool.ntp.org effort.  It's designed to take all the trepidation and
unwariness of going through the list of "public ntp servers" most all
of which have access restrictions.  It's also a very young experiment...
while it's been entirely succesful up to this date, it may not stand
up so well if some misbehaved NTP server supplied by some vendor hammers
all the pool.ntp.org servers in the same way that Netgear hammered
UWisc.

Tim.