[ntp:questions] Re: Latest changes toTWikiGettingStarted

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Mon Oct 6 16:27:16 UTC 2003

>Given that Dave will be using GoLive for his HTML pages and nobody has
>found a good way to convert these pages into other formats (I'm not sure
>if the existing html2man script will actually convert the .html files into
>useful .mak mages) this means we will be supporting a variety of formats
>for a while.

One glitch to add the the checklist...  If you use something like
html2man, what environment does it need?  perl?  Is it reasonable
to assume the system you are installing NTP on has perl?  Will it be
the right version?  (Or will html2man run on all versions?)  ...

I just took a look at ntp-4.1.74/html/ntpd.html

It would be a real struggle to read it as raw text.  The main body is
close, but even that has enough decoration to be annoying.  I couldn't
understand the table at the end until I used a browser.  (I didn't try
very hard.)

If I needed to refer to it while working on a system without a web
browser, I'd go find a machine with a browser and read it there or
print a copy.