[ntp:questions] Re: Latest changes to TWikiGettingStarted

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Mon Oct 6 16:29:02 UTC 2003

Brad Knowles wrote in message ...
[...]
> Moreover, everything I've read and heard indicates to me that you
>really need at least three or four NTP servers that you communicate
>with, before you can be reasonably sure that you really are getting a
>decent time setting.

With due respect (I don't work for UDel), I've heard differently.
Here at home, I run an NTP server on my firewall that listens
only to my ISP's stratum 2/3 NTP server, and serves half a dozen
leaf nodes, and I haven't had any problems, ever. Of course, I
like to think that my ISP is a little better than average.

A simple ntptrace makes me "reasonably sure" that I'm still making
good time, and a simple ntpdate always gets me up and running quickly.

Again, this is a home situation, but for all the lack of redundancy
(inspired mostly by the lack of redundancy in my Internet connection
itself) it's rock solid so far.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink