[ntp:questions] Re: Latest changes toTWikiGettingStarted

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Oct 6 19:22:40 UTC 2003

Harlan Stenn wrote:

> I am concerned with MECHANISM issues.  The mechanism should be robust
> enough to support a variety of local policy choices.
>
> Given that Dave will be using GoLive for his HTML pages and nobody has
> found a good way to convert these pages into other formats (I'm not sure
> if the existing html2man script will actually convert the .html files into
> useful .mak mages) this means we will be supporting a variety of formats
> for a while.

Have you actually converted a GoLive page using the script? The HTML
pages are as vanilla as I can make and are in validated HTML format
which has nothing to do with GoLive. I have avoided things that may be
hard to convert, although the tables of contents and links and adornable
gifs may well be victim. Have you tried looking at the HTML pages with a
text editor? I took pains to make sure they are readable and to minimize
formatter infusion. Try looking at the NTP web site sources with a text
editor.
> I'm talking about documentation that the installer sees.
>
> There is a separate issue for runtime configuration of ntp.  This problem
> can get worse when multiple versions of ntp are running on different
> platforms.

I'm not sure where you are going here. As I said to you in a previous
message, I have no objection, and in fact is now the case, that README
text configure/make/install files are included in the distribution. I
would hope, however, that the text files be translated directly from the
existing quick.html and build.html pages as amended.

> I have been fighting for permission to keep the distribution at its
> current size and have the *build* process produce the documents in
> an alternative form.  By my read of your previous responses to these
> requests you have forbidden this.
>
> By your response above I will assume that my previous was indeed a
> misunderstanding and I am now free to proceed along my original path.
> The distribution will remain at its present size and I will provide a
> (probably optional) mechanism to produce things like man pages.

I wasn't aware that you were "fighting for permission to keep the
distribution at its current size". To include both HTML and man pages
would certainly increase the size. You and I once discussed separating
the distribution into two distributions, one for sourcea with
configure/build/install text files and the other documentation, but we
both agreed that, since the documentation is constantly updated, this
would not be practical.

I don't know if we are on the same page even now. Do you agree/disagree
with the points I addressed in the numbered response to Brad's message?
Dave