[ntp:questions] Re: Latest changes toTWikiGettingStarted

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Oct 6 19:46:40 UTC 2003

Peter Boettcher wrote:

> It's a beast.  It needs:
>
> # This file require the Perl HTML::Parser module, which in turn
> # requires HTML::Tagset, which has no dependencies.  [...]
>
> That's why I'd rather have the man pages generated at package time
> rather than build time, with copious disclaimers and warnings included
> to assuage Dave's concerns about newbies reading (potentially) poorly
> converted docs instead of the real stuff.  But I'm gonna try to stay
> out of that fight.
>
> I consider the whole thing a hack, which has required some significant
> modifications after the switch to Adobe Super-HTML-Author 5000, which
> generates it's own brand of crappy HTML.  (Though I probably shouldn't
> complain... it's much better than lots of other machine-written HTML).

I need to understand your objection to GoLive. Could you take a moment
and actually light up one of those pages? They are every bit as vanilla
as produced by Tidy or by hand, which is the main reason I chose GoLive
in the first place.

> I'm not interested in pursuing this, but I think the "real" answer
> would be to maintain the docs using some sort of XML tools, from which
> "nice" HTML and MAN could be easily produced.  (Not to mention PDF for
> printed docs, and LaTeX just because).

I'm warm to this. A quick check in GoLive confirms its ability to import
XML data, but does not appear at first glance to be able to convert a
web collection to XML, even if that makes sense. The web collection,
including my own personal pages, NTP project pages and NTP documentation
is over 450 megabytes and growing. Maintaining hundreds of dependencies
and checking thousands of links by hand is simply not feasible.
Dave