[ntp:questions] [OT] Setting up TWiki

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Fri Oct 10 08:56:03 UTC 2003

At 8:22 AM +0000 2003/10/10, David J Taylor wrote:

>  Can I ask a simple off-topic question: if I want to set up a TWiki for my
>  own projects (not NTP), do I need a server to run it on?

	Yes, you need your own server.  This is additional software that
needs to be installed into the system beyond the basic web server,
and I doubt you're going to find anyone who would be willing to give
you that level of administrative access to their system.

	I would think you might be able to do this sort of thing within a
virtual server account, however.  That would depend a lot on how the
virtual server account is set up, whether they allow you to install
your own CGI scripts, etc....

>                                                            Or is it like
>  SourceForge where you can just setup a new area on a common server?  I
>  couldn't find a common shared server....

	You can set up multiple copies of twiki on the same server, but
each copy of twiki will have the same set of users throughout, which
means that a given user would be able to change anything anywhere on
the same twiki, unless you have specifically locked down security on
that particular area so that only certain users in certain groups can
update it -- even then, they'd have a good chance of finding ways to
link around you.