[ntp:questions] Re: [TWiki] Document Format Poll

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Fri Oct 10 21:20:28 UTC 2003

"Brad Knowles" <brad.knowles at skynet.be> wrote in message
news:mailman.30.1065817773.1751.questions at ntp.org...

> At 6:02 PM +0200 2003/10/10, Maarten Wiltink wrote:

> >  That is a bogus restriction.

> Not at all.  If that restriction wasn't in place, we would have
> no way to keep people from voting multiple times.  This way we can
> ensure that each person can only vote once, and they can always
> choose to change their vote at a later time.

    I really doubt that. Unless you demand DNA samples or a FAX of a
driver's license, there's no way you can stop a person from voting more than
once.

> That is, unless they want to set up multiple TWiki accounts, and
> if they want to go to those lengths then maybe they should be allowed
> to vote more than once.

    Umm, okay.

> >  Don't bother to tell me how easy it is to register, I don't care.

> Fine.  Then don't vote.  But don't ever complain about the
> documentation if you do.

    Then nobody has any justification for complaining ever. You can equally
well argue that a person who got his vote just like everyone else has no
write to complain if he loses.

> You can choose the level of involvement you bring to this
> process, but you have absolutely no right whatsoever to complain
> about the consequences if you choose not to vote.

    And you have no right to complain if you do either, you got your vote
just like everyone else. If the voting process produces a bad result, the
choice to employ a voting process will have been shown to have been a bad
choice. You can't blame a lack of voting for this bad result -- you can't
vote on whether voting is the way to resolve a problem.

    Someone or some process chose to do this by a vote. If the vote produces
a bad result, then the choice to employ a vote process can be criticized by
anyone who didn't support the decision to put this to a vote.

    DS