[ntp:questions] Re: [TWiki] Document Format Poll

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Fri Oct 10 23:37:17 UTC 2003

"Brad Knowles" <brad.knowles at skynet.be> wrote in message
news:mailman.29.1065817741.1751.questions at ntp.org...

> At 12:14 PM -0700 2003/10/10, David Schwartz wrote:

> >>  Participation in NTP TWiki polls is restricted to registered users.

> >      Then why advertise the poll here? Presumably the TWiki provides a
> >  sensible way to reach its own registered users.

> Because there are many people here who may not have heard of the
> TWiki, or seen it in action.

    So this was intended to promote the TWiki?

> Or, they may not have seen the
> new-and-improved front page that Steve has worked so hard on.  Or,
> there are people who would like to have their voice heard on their
> preferred format of documentation for quick-reference documentation?

    Hmm, so it's "sign up for the TWiki or lose your right to complain about
the documentation"?

> Do we complain when you exercise your right to post anything to
> any mailing list, newsgroup, web board, irc channel, or other form of
> communication?  Do we muzzle you when you try to bring attention to
> things that you think haven't gotten a wide enough exposure?  So why
> are you trying to muzzle Steve?

    There's a fine line here. "There's a discussion going on over here that
you guys might be interested in" is one thing. But using a contentious issue
as a way to promote the TWiki is another.

    It's not so much Steve that bothered me, but this:

>>> Fine.  Then don't vote.  But don't ever complain about the documentation
if you do.

    In other words, it's not "here's something that might interest you" or
"here's something I want to promote, hope you don't mind", it's "you have to
register on my site or else". This message is perfectly innocuous if
directed to people who have already signed up but sinister when directed to
another public forum.

    DS