[ntp:questions] Re: [TWiki] Document Format Poll

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Sat Oct 11 00:48:12 UTC 2003

At 4:51 PM -0700 2003/10/10, David Schwartz wrote:

>  	And if you do vote, do you have a right to complain about the outcome? Even
>  though you got your vote just like everyone else and lost fair and square?

	If you do vote in the poll, and you don't like the outcome of the
poll, then you do have a right to complain about that outcome.

>  	Ironically, the exception is a poll used just to determine prevailing
>  viewpoint or to aid in the allocation of private resources. For example, if
>  Burger King polls to see how much salt people like on their fries. This is
>  probably just such a poll,

	Basically.

>                             however, it is then inappropriate to say, "If you
>  actively choose to give up your vote, then you have no right to complain
>  about the outcome."

	No.  Regardless of the nature of the poll, if you participate and
you do not like the outcome, then you would have a right to complain.

>  	I'm already in California. My governor can kick your governor's ass --
>  assuming he hasn't already patted it. I apologize for my part in making this
>  a bigger deal than it ever should have been.

	I live in Belgium.  The second King of Belgium was Leopold II,
and he was responsible for murdering more people in what was then the
Belgian Congo than Hitler was responsible for during WWII (see
<http://www.moreorless.au.com/killers/leopold.html> and
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0618001905/ref=ase_historyarch/104-6617758-5947123?v=glance&s=books>).
This is not a fact that Belgians are proud of.  Nevertheless, Belgium
is the center of the seat of government for the EU, and is also home
of NATO headquarters as well as SHAPE.

	According to the CIA World Factbook at
<http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/be.html>, it has
an area about the size of Maryland, but a population slightly less
than 10.3 million people (less than LA).  There are plenty more
statistics that I can quote, if you like.

	Moreover, there are now more people on the Internet over here in
Europe than there are netizens in the US, and Europe seems to be the
only place where any semblance whatsoever of sanity can be found with
regards to personal privacy, laws regarding software patents, the
Microsoft juggernaut, etc....