[ntp:questions] Re: Latest changes to TWikiGettingStarted

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat Oct 11 23:50:57 UTC 2003

Harlan,

Thanks for the clarification, which I saw just now after my previous
message in this thread.

The first gotcha is that tools like GoLive don't work by checking out a
single file, wiggling it and checking it back in. In effect, it checks
out the entire site, including possibly zillions of links and allows
file names to be changed, links moved around and so forth while insuring
consistency throughout the site. But, the good news, and the reason I
thought it would be useful, is that you can patch the repository and the
local cache/link copy on the PC can be updated automatically.

I am most reluctant to treat NTP documentation differently than the rest
of the web collection for construction and maintenance purposes, even if
the 3.7 megabytes is only a fraction of my personal 450-megabyte faculty
web. Turns out most of that bloat is papers, reports and various
documents other than web pages, so the HTML pages in that collection
actually bulk smaller than the NTP web. However, a very valuable feature
I need is chasing down all the links and making sure everthing hangs
dogether.

So, GoLive and bk might have different purposes and machanisms, but they
should be able to play together.

Dave