[ntp:questions] Re: Busted link on http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/index.html

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Sun Oct 12 05:16:40 UTC 2003

David -

> I knew somebody would say that and you bit.

It's because I'm on a diet, and off caffeine and alcohol,
so I am not cerebrating efficiently.  I should have known
better, since I work in an environment in which one is
punished for having a good idea by being made to implement
it.

> ... If somebody demonstrates a
> universal solution that keeps Microsoft, Adobe, Netscape, Mozilla,
> Opera, Emacs, Lynx, Safari and all the others happy, I would be happy to
> mend my evil ways. It could be that some simple trick manages that
> miracle or I have committed a stupid unforgivable error, but neither the
> Sams HTML reference book nor Adobe documentration point to any
> definitive common solution.

I've always been fond of vi as an HTML editor, but I hear
emacs is really cool.  WYSIWYG HTML editors aren't, and
they often insert some really bad tags.

> I verifed just now that IE works with # and NS ignores it and both
> browsers complain no-page-found if it is removed. It doesn't do a lot of
> good to shame me into published standards if they don't work in all
> browsers.

 > As it is, I salute IE only because it's the biggest gorilla.

Understood.  The Redmond Hegemony. "It's well-integrated."  My
favorite quip was by Scott McNealy -- "It's spelled 'Active-X' but
pronounced 'Captive-X'."