[ntp:questions] Re: NTPD on Win XP problem

David Mitchell nntpatmitchdj.globalnet.co.uk
Tue Oct 14 09:36:51 UTC 2003

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:56:51 +0200, Terje Mathisen
<terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com> wrote:

>David J Taylor wrote:
>
>> "David Mitchell" <nntp at mitchdj.globalnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> []
>>
>>>The configured peers seem to duplicate each polling cycle..
>>

>> David, just "for what it's worth", I'm running NTP on XP Pro SP1, and not
>> seeing that issue.
>>
>> I run ntp-4.1.80-rc1-nt.zip from Terje Mathisen,
>> http://norloff.org/ntp/dev/
>
>I've never seen this before, but I wonder if it might be related to the
>combination of XP's DNS lookup handling and the multiple servers aliased
>to each pool.ntp.org entry?
>
>Terje

I don't think so - if I specify a pool name multiple times I get the
same server repeated in the original list (I assume due to DNS
cacheing) but these repeats seem to happen after each polling cycle
(and also occur if specific servers or IP addresses are used),  I
think the 'runt received' message might be significant but I would
need to spend (too much) time working through the source myself - I am
wondering if it is a timeout issue with the responses from the server?

I might try 4.1.80 rc1...

David