[ntp:questions] Re: Estimate of the number of people using the pool system

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat Oct 18 04:06:46 UTC 2003

Frederick,

The default minpoll and maxpoll were not chosen lightly, but only after
a good deal of experience in the trenches. I question the wisdom of the
NetBSD folks when casually overriding those defaults in a model
configuration. In particular, the clock discipline response to
temperature-induced frequency fluctuations deteriorates above the
default maxpoll and I wouldn't recommend it unless the user really needs
to reduce the network load and is prepared to suffer some performace
degradation. I chose 10 (1024 s) as the default because from my
experience LAN systems can usually maintain a millisecond at that
interval.

While this might not be of concern in most configuration, using
different maxpoll values in peer (symmetric active/passive) modes is
courting disaster.

Dave