[ntp:questions] Re: GettingStarted -- Introduction

Dale Worley worley at dragon.ariadne.com
Sun Oct 19 19:40:47 UTC 2003

stenn at maccarony.ntp.org (Harlan Stenn) writes:
> And you don't have to read any of it.  If ntpd supports -g, there is no need
> to run ntpdate.

Oddly enough, I've found that not to be true.  When I was revising my
NTP daemon start script for RH 8.0, I set it up to use 'ntp -g', but
it turns out that if ntp can't reach *any* of its servers, 'ntp -g'
will wait indefinitely.  The problem being that the start script first
attempts to set the system clock using NTP, then sets the hardware
clock from the system clock, then starts the real NTP in the
background, and continues with further startup operations.  There
seems to be no way to tell NTP "attempt to set the clock from the
servers, but whatever you do, don't wait forever".  ntpdate, despite
its obsolescence, has the right behavior for this sort of startup use.

Now I may have mis-remembered some of the details here, or I may have
overlooked the correct set of options, so I'm prepared to be
corrected...

Dale