[ntp:questions] Re: synchronisation lost errors with

Dale Worley worley at dragon.ariadne.com
Sun Oct 19 20:18:04 UTC 2003

Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de> writes:
> Oct 13 12:02:58 hummus2 ntpd[8714]: synchronisation lost
> Oct 13 12:07:15 hummus2 ntpd[8714]: synchronisation lost
> Oct 13 12:11:37 hummus2 ntpd[8714]: time reset 13.300551 s

Another possibility is that the servers you've given disagree on what
time it is, and the time resets come when NTP switches which server it
is syncing with.  (That has happened to me.)  Since the time resets
happen every 10 minutes or so, why don't you try 'ntpq -p' every
minute or so and see if anything odd shows up?  At the least, the
chosen server should change relatively rarely, and the offset values
(which are shown in milliseconds) should remain under 100 or so for
all servers.

When I had this problem, I eventually determined that one of the
servers was itself resetting its time about once an hour.  When I
removed it from the servers list, the problem went away.

Dale