[ntp:questions] Re: NT binaries for ntp-4.2.0

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Oct 21 01:20:03 UTC 2003

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:<kwTjb.605$UM1.4240532 at news-text.cableinet.net>...
> "Terje Mathisen" <terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com> wrote in message
> news:bmo5qe$qla$1 at osl016lin.hda.hydro.com...
> > As usual, I've built and uploaded NT binaries for the new ntp release:
> >
> >     http://norloff.org/ntp/ntp-4.2.0-nt.zip
>
> There wouldn't be a new file created by this software, named .rnd, in the
> root of drive C: by any chance?  I have a distinct dislike of such
> behaviour!  If so, please keep such temporary files to a private
> directory, and certain not the root of the main drive!
>
> Cheers,
> David

Sorry about that but the file itself is essential for openSSL. I know I
described the requirements somewhere and it may be in the release notes.
It's in winnt.html. Define a system environmental variable called
RANDFILE and a full drive/path/file name. Restart ntpd and it will create
the file indicated by RANDFILE. I have no control over OpenSSL and how
it implements this but it is a necessary file.

Danny