[ntp:questions] Re: NT binaries for ntp-4.2.0

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Oct 21 07:31:19 UTC 2003

> > There wouldn't be a new file created by this software, named .rnd, in
the
> > root of drive C: by any chance?  I have a distinct dislike of such
> > behaviour!  If so, please keep such temporary files to a private
> > directory, and certain not the root of the main drive!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > David
>
> Sorry about that but the file itself is essential for openSSL. I know I
> described the requirements somewhere and it may be in the release notes.
> It's in winnt.html. Define a system environmental variable called
> RANDFILE and a full drive/path/file name. Restart ntpd and it will
create
> the file indicated by RANDFILE. I have no control over OpenSSL and how
> it implements this but it is a necessary file.
>
> Danny

Thanks for that, Danny.

Unfortunately, there is no winnt.html in the release from Terje, so I had
been unaware of the new file, or the potential requirement to create a new
environment variable.  Now I know what it is, I don't mind so much,
although it strikes me as a crazy way to write a DLL!  Drive C: might not
even be present and, certainly on my system, has nothing to do with the
Windows NT/2000/XP installations on other drives.

Cheers,
David