[ntp:questions] Re: NT binaries for ntp-4.2.0

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Tue Oct 21 12:00:12 UTC 2003

David J Taylor wrote:

>>>There wouldn't be a new file created by this software, named .rnd, in
>
> the
>
>>>root of drive C: by any chance?  I have a distinct dislike of such
>>>behaviour!  If so, please keep such temporary files to a private
>>>directory, and certain not the root of the main drive!
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>David
>>
>>Sorry about that but the file itself is essential for openSSL. I know I
>>described the requirements somewhere and it may be in the release notes.
>>It's in winnt.html. Define a system environmental variable called
>>RANDFILE and a full drive/path/file name. Restart ntpd and it will
>
> create
>
>>the file indicated by RANDFILE. I have no control over OpenSSL and how
>>it implements this but it is a necessary file.
>>
>>Danny
>

> Thanks for that, Danny.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no winnt.html in the release from Terje, so I had

That's intentional, both to keep the binary size down, and to force
people to go to the original docs at http://www.ntp.org.

> been unaware of the new file, or the potential requirement to create a new
> environment variable.  Now I know what it is, I don't mind so much,
> although it strikes me as a crazy way to write a DLL!  Drive C: might not
> even be present and, certainly on my system, has nothing to do with the
> Windows NT/2000/XP installations on other drives.

I must admit that I didn't know about this file, even though I've
installed the OpenSSL-based versions on quite a few systems. :-(

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>