[ntp:questions] Re: NT binaries for ntp-4.2.0

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Oct 21 15:45:05 UTC 2003

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:<bh5lb.1078$9q2.10290359 at news-text.cableinet.net>...
> > > There wouldn't be a new file created by this software, named .rnd, in
>  the
> > > root of drive C: by any chance?  I have a distinct dislike of such
> > > behaviour!  If so, please keep such temporary files to a private
> > > directory, and certain not the root of the main drive!
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > David
> >
> > Sorry about that but the file itself is essential for openSSL. I know I
> > described the requirements somewhere and it may be in the release notes.
> > It's in winnt.html. Define a system environmental variable called
> > RANDFILE and a full drive/path/file name. Restart ntpd and it will
>  create
> > the file indicated by RANDFILE. I have no control over OpenSSL and how
> > it implements this but it is a necessary file.
> >
> > Danny
>
> Thanks for that, Danny.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no winnt.html in the release from Terje, so I had
> been unaware of the new file, or the potential requirement to create a new
> environment variable.  Now I know what it is, I don't mind so much,
> although it strikes me as a crazy way to write a DLL!  Drive C: might not
> even be present and, certainly on my system, has nothing to do with the
> Windows NT/2000/XP installations on other drives.

The C: drive is the boot drive, even if it isn't used for anything else.
As I said, this comes from OpenSSL so I can't change it. The winnt.html
file is at http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/hints/winnt.html .
It should be more easily accessible on the NTP site.

Terje, could you please add this file to the binary distribution?

Danny