[ntp:questions] Re: strange log message: ntpd[320]: process_private: INFO_ERR_FMT: test 8 failed

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Wed Oct 22 17:10:27 UTC 2003

Adrian,

This is one of about a dozen sanity checks documented on the ntpq
program manual page:

0x080 TEST8
Either the root delay or dispersion is greater than one second, which is
highly unlikely unless the peer is unsynchronized to Mars.

It usually means the server itself has seen no server for a couple of
days.

Dave