[ntp:questions] Re: NT binaries for ntp-4.2.0

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 20:15:09 UTC 2003

In article <3F95BF47.2F1D551A at udel.edu>, David L. Mills <mills at udel.edu> wrote:

> Geeze I get tired of being the boogeyman. Once upon a time before you
> came around we used to keep old versions intact with code and
> documentation in the archive. If folks needed documentation from an old

Once upon a time may have been ten years ago.  The people for whom
documentation is an issue nowadays would run a mile before going near
source code and many can't even install a binary from a zipped archive
any longer; they need a self executing installer, for Windows, or an
RPM, for Linux.  Even on SCO Unix, they probably would be put off by
a source archive. They are home users and glorified office managers,
not traditional system programmers.

They also very rarely read reference documentation; if there are any
forks in the document (a hypertext decision tree) don't expect them to
backtrack.  The documentation needs to flow in one direction only and
be prescriptive, not descriptive.