[ntp:questions] peer 2 peer

Gaspar Bakos gbakos at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Oct 23 05:33:22 UTC 2003

Hi,

We are trying to setup ntp for a small network of
machines using the peer command of NTP without luck.
Both machine's ntp.conf files are configured to
"point" at each other with the peer commands as
follows:

machine1:

peer machine2 prefer key 1
enable auth
authenticate yes
keys        /etc/ntp/keys
trustedkey 1

machine2:

peer machine1 prefer key 1
enable auth
authenticate yes
keys        /etc/ntp/keys
trustedkey 1

while the contents of the keys file is something like:

1 M blabla

On machine1 the output from ntpq -p for this machine
is:

machine2 0.0.0.0         16 u    -  256    0    0.000   0.000 4000.00

the same command on machine2 results in:
machine1 0.0.0.0         16 u    -  256    0    0.000   0.000 4000.00

What do we do wrong, how such a peer situation can be
handled? Please help us or write references to
explanation docus.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Gaspar
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------
For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption
upgrade to SurgeFTP
----  See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm  ----