[ntp:questions] Re: peer 2 peer

Brian Utterback Brian.Utterback at Sun.removeme.COM
Thu Oct 23 12:38:51 UTC 2003

Gaspar Bakos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are trying to setup ntp for a small network of
> machines using the peer command of NTP without luck.
> Both machine's ntp.conf files are configured to
> "point" at each other with the peer commands as
> follows:
>
> machine1:

> peer machine2 prefer key 1
> enable auth
> authenticate yes
> keys        /etc/ntp/keys
> trustedkey 1
>
> machine2:

> peer machine1 prefer key 1
> enable auth
> authenticate yes
> keys        /etc/ntp/keys
> trustedkey 1

Well, you have omitted some lines in the ntp.conf file, so I may be off base
here, but from what you show, there is no source of time here. Each machine
is relying on the other to provide the time. It's as if two people each has
their wristwatch run down and then each asks the other what time it is so they
can set it. Nobody has the time, so nobody can set it.
--
blu

Lesson from the blackout of 2003:
The power grid is THE most critical infrastructure, upon which all
others depend, and nobody really knows how it works.