[ntp:questions] Re: w32time help

Paulers paulers at cox.net
Thu Oct 23 14:50:06 UTC 2003

Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com> wrote in message news:<bn7rg3$a8p$1 at osl016lin.hda.hydro.com>...
> Paulers wrote:
> > Ok I went to ntp.org and Installed the nt port of ntpd and I am having
> > this issue. I have the file "ntp.conf" located in c:\winnt\ but event
> > viewer is complaining
> >
> > getconfig: Couldn't open <C:\WINNT\ntp.conf>
>
> This is a spurious error msg, in that ntpd will very happily read the
> ntp.conf file there, it just logs a complaint each time it does so.
>
> Some of us disagree with the decision to include that error log, but it
> isn't important.
> >
> > I have tried recycling the service but it still complains every time I
> > do. I also tried putting it in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc and it
> > does the same thing. Any suggestions?
>
> Keeping it in the last directory _only_ should avoid the log entry.
>
> Have you tried to see if it is working?
>
> ntpd -p
>
> Terje

Ok then somethins else is wrong becasue if I leave the service alone
for a while the service will stop on its own.  The last entry in the
event log is this error message

time correction of -4044 seconds exceeds sanity limit (1000); set
clock manually to the correct UTC time.

then the service stops. Does this mean that it is working but it can't
adjust because its too far off or something?