[ntp:questions] Re: PPS on sparcstation10 parallel port

Hans Jørgen Jakobsen hjj at wheel.dk
Fri Oct 24 21:30:07 UTC 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:52:09 +0000 (UTC), Kesper Kurt wrote:

> i tried to use the parallel port on a sparcstation10 (/dev/bpp0) for
> PPS-signals (pin 10 "Ack") but without success. I made a symlink
>   /dev/pps0 -> /dev/bpp0
> and in ntp.conf
>   server 127.127.22.0
>
> The clock is shown with ntpq -p but "reach=0". Am i missing something or is
> the parallel port only supported for Intel-machines?

Which OS? Solaris?

Have you tried one of the test programs to see the data from the PPS API
is present. Or looked in the log to see if ntpd finds the device. Or
enabled some level of debugging on ntpd.

BTW I dont think that PPS input on parallel port is common. The only one
I know of is FreeBSD.

Your electrial levels for the interface is the right TTL levels?

/hjj