[ntp:questions] Re: w32time help

Paulers paulers at cox.net
Mon Oct 27 16:45:05 UTC 2003

paulers at cox.net (Paulers) wrote in message news:<78f80819.0310230645.239e3701 at posting.google.com>...
> Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com> wrote in message news:<bn7rg3$a8p$1 at osl016lin.hda.hydro.com>...
> > Paulers wrote:
> > > Ok I went to ntp.org and Installed the nt port of ntpd and I am having
> > > this issue. I have the file "ntp.conf" located in c:\winnt\ but event
> > > viewer is complaining
> > >
> > > getconfig: Couldn't open <C:\WINNT\ntp.conf>
> >
> > This is a spurious error msg, in that ntpd will very happily read the
> > ntp.conf file there, it just logs a complaint each time it does so.
> >
> > Some of us disagree with the decision to include that error log, but it
> > isn't important.
> > >
> > > I have tried recycling the service but it still complains every time I
> > > do. I also tried putting it in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc and it
> > > does the same thing. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Keeping it in the last directory _only_ should avoid the log entry.
> >
> > Have you tried to see if it is working?
> >
> > ntpd -p
> >
> > Terje
>
> Ok then somethins else is wrong becasue if I leave the service alone
> for a while the service will stop on its own.  The last entry in the
> event log is this error message
>
> time correction of -4044 seconds exceeds sanity limit (1000); set
> clock manually to the correct UTC time.
>
> then the service stops. Does this mean that it is working but it can't
> adjust because its too far off or something?

I forgot to mention that I tried some other things including setting
the clock with ntpdate but had some issues.

C:\ntp>ntpdate -d 148.171.161.128
23 Oct 13:24:32 ntpdate[906]: ntpdate 4.2.0 fr Oct 17 8:50:02 2003 (1)
host found : 148.171.161.128
Looking for host 148.171.161.128 and service ntp
23 Oct 13:25:37 ntpdate[906]: select(): nfound = 0, error: No error
transmit(148.171.161.128)
23 Oct 13:26:37 ntpdate[906]: select(): nfound = 0, error: No error
23 Oct 13:27:37 ntpdate[906]: select(): nfound = 0, error: No error
23 Oct 13:28:37 ntpdate[906]: select(): nfound = 0, error: No error

It continues to output those lines and eventually errors out saying
"no server suitable for synchronization found"