[ntp:questions] Re: DHCP and NTP configuration

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Oct 28 13:20:05 UTC 2003

Dale Worley <worley at dragon.ariadne.com> wrote in message news:<87he1yacp3.fsf_-_ at netnews.comcast.net>...
> > > I don't know enough about the details of the DHCP scheme, but it
> > > sure should included in that document. Can you (Dale) or anybody
> > > else with knowledge of the issues post me a proposed section
> > > appropriate for inclusion in the document?
>
> Now that I think about it, I've done a little research on DHCP
> already.  Let me look into this.
>
> As a first test, how many people would like to have DHCP be able to
> distribute more information to NTP than just the server addresses?  If
> we implement such a system, we're going to need several test sites.
>
> Dale

I don't understand the question. DHCP doesn't distribute anything to NTP.
NTP gets its address information from DNS using the resolver running
on the server. DHCP MAY send dynamic DNS updates to the DNS responsible
for the domain but that's a DHCP configuration question and you should
be asking in the DHCP newsgroup.

Danny