[ntp:questions] Re: How long does it take to syn with the time server.

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Tue Oct 28 20:07:01 UTC 2003

"Carmen Wai" <carmen_wai at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.44.1067356437.1751.questions at ntp.org...

> I have setup a ntp server and client. I have checked
> that it takes nearly 4-5 min for the client to syn
> with the server's time. Isn't it normal?

    Are you talking about the amount of time it takes before the times are
close? Or the amount of time before they're in solid synch?

> Both of my ntp server and client run on Red Hat 7.3.
> How can I config so that the time for syn. with the
> server will be faster??

    Using 'iburst' or calling 'ntpdate' before launching 'ntpd' will speed
up the initial synchronization. Obtaining solid lock will always take awhile
though, there is no other way to average out some sources of error in the
synchronization than over a period time.

    DS