[ntp:questions] Re: Ntp Query

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Wed Oct 29 22:06:43 UTC 2003

"moorefieldman" <karlobrien2 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c7b3dce2.0310290756.19fc3c9f at posting.google.com...

> I have a question about how an NTP server is queried. How do you get
> the time off a server?

    Yes, but that's really not its primary purpose. It's primary purpose is
to synchronize a clock to another clock. This is not the same as setting a
clock.

> Does it use UDP?

    Yes.

> If I want to update the time
> on my computer using an NTP server how would I connect to the NTP
> server?

    If you just want to get the time, google for SNTP. It will allow you to
send out a UDP query packet and get back the time that the UDP query packet
was received by an NTP or SNTP server. If you want to really synchronize
your clock, use the NTPD program itself. Reinventing the wheel is not
needed.

    DS