[ntp:questions] Re: What's different about these (S)NTP servers?

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 30 07:56:39 UTC 2003

In article <mailman.46.1067473108.1751.questions at ntp.org>,
gabriel rosenkoetter <grosen at cc3.com> wrote:

> w32time is well-documented to support a subset of NTP, called SNTP

Is this still being mis-documented?  I thought they had admitted that
it was non-compliant.  w32time does not implement the RFC version of
either NTP or SNTP, or even a superset of them.  As well as the fact
that it is showing a zero reference time whilst showing a synchronised
state in leap and stratum fields, the stratum field is hard coded as
2.  Other issues relate to its operation in client mode.

> (S for simple), which Microsoft "embraced and extended".

I think S is for Seattle.  "embrace" means take on the general flavour
without regard to the details, "extend" means compound the incompatibility.