[ntp:questions] Re: GMT: UT1 vs UTC

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Thu Oct 30 11:13:25 UTC 2003

Ian G Batten wrote:

> Come the winter, for us in the UK date(1) reports:
>
> Thu Oct 30 11:01:15 GMT 2003
>
> when in fact for almost everyone's computers it's UTC, which is +/- 0.9s
> from GMT.  And the `Greenwich Time Signal' on the radio is UTC(GPS)
> these days, too.  Does anyone have a clock which actually ticks UT1?

Why would you want one?

Even in England/Great Britain GMT is just a local name for UTC these days.

UT1 is for astronomers, as well as a way to figure out when/if to
add/subtract leap seconds.

BTW, anyone want to bet how much (supposedly leap-second handling) gear
will fall down if we actually have to subtract a leap second?

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>