[ntp:questions] Re: NTPD on Win XP problem

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu Oct 30 16:05:04 UTC 2003

David Mitchell <nntp at mitchdj.globalnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:<gqs1qvgftaommjmu17k14s73d6u93c7co8 at 4ax.com>...

> >> Filed as bug #219...
> >
> >Fix is here:
> >
> >    http://mailman.ntp.org/pipermail/bugs/2003-September/000358.html
> >
> >I think the first change of the two fixes both the runt response errors and the desire
> >for NTPD to use all the available UDP sockets. I hadn't noticed the link to DNS
> >but in retrospect I only saw the problem on a machine using host names rather
> >than IP addresses in ntp.conf.
> >
> >Andrew.
> >
> Andrew
>
> That looks like the fix! - is the issue over domain names due to the
> additional time to do a lookup?  - I assume that ntpd passes whatever
> is in the config file & lets the IP stack do the DNS lookup...

This will NOT fix the problem of multiple entries showing up in ntpq
if that's what you mean. That's a different problem (at least I think so).
There's also an additional fix that has to go in which is not in the above
referenced link.

> Now - how / when will that get into the NT Ports, as I don't have the
> ability to compile it...?
>
> David

Whenever I have time to get it in. In need to find time to get this done.
It will just fix the immediate problem. That section of code really needs
to get reworked and I don't have time for it right now, so the fix will have
to do for now.

Danny