[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd looses sync, I must always restart: please help

Luca luca at pacor.de
Fri Oct 31 09:25:05 UTC 2003

"Maarten Wiltink" <maarten at kittensandcats.net> wrote in message news:<3fa1a21a$0$58711$e4fe514c at news.xs4all.nl>...

[ snip ]

> Renewing the associations would suffice. Jan Ceuleers posted a script
> for doing this last September 11th. (I have the script saved. But not
> the message-id. Google knows.)

Jan wrote to me and sent me the script!

> >                                          I also tried to set up many
> > servers and peers
>
> Indeed. Quite ridiculously many, if I may say so. Conspicuously absent
> from your endless list is ntp1.t-online.de.

Oooops! I did not know of that one.
Thanks!

> Also, you're trying to _peer_ with half of them, rather than having them
> serve you. Take my word for it, they won't take your word for what time
> it is. The purpose of peering is to have a two-way connection in case
> one of the servers loses its reference clock.
>
> Note the "reference clock". You don't have one. They don't _need_ your
> time; it's not going to be better than anything they have.

Aha! Now I understand.

> >                   (I decided to be stratus 2, is that wrong?)
>
> Yes, that's wrong, too. Uplifting, all this, isn't it? First of all, the
> word is "stratum". Stratus is a cloud formation; liguistically, layered
> clouds, practically, it's the default name for all clouds that aren't
> particularly hazy (cirrus) or towering (cumulus).

misspelling, please excuse me, mea maxima culpa.
I know those clouds ...

> But the real error is making your unsynchronised local clock stratum 2,
> or even 5. Don't fool yourself that you _are_ synchronising it; this
> clock only comes into effect when contact with all real time sources has
> been lost and it really is unsynchronised.
>
> Stratum 10 would be appropriate. It is still useable, but unlikely to be
> used except when really nothing else is available. Which is precisely true,
> respectively precisely what you want to be true, of a free-running crystal
> oscillator.

 That means I should have a bigger stratum and use stratum 2 servers
as servers -not peers-, right?
But: what should I have in the config file? Could you please give me a
hint?

Thanks a lot and best wishes
Luca