[ntp:questions] NTP and daylight saving

Phil Brady p.r.brady at nospam.bangor.ac.uk
Fri Oct 31 18:35:04 UTC 2003

I'd like to ask you people a really simple question - all the FAQ's I
find seem to skip this really basic question.   I'm asking because a
piece of radio kit failed to change clock last weekend.

Am I right in thinking that an NTP service will only deliver UTC (in
secs since 1/1/1900) and no other time information?  Hence the other
bits of the jigsaw to compute local time ie the offset from GMT (+1 hour
for Paris etc) and any daylight saving adjustments are a local
responsibility of the client without any hints given by NTP ?

Thanks
Phil