[ntp:questions] Re: Updating GettingStarted

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Sep 2 17:05:31 UTC 2003

In article <871xuzdyok.fsf at netnews.comcast.net>, Dale Worley wrote:

> I've started doing a little work on the TWiki topic GettingStarted.
> I'm currently editing a scratch copy, NTP.DaleWorley2.

This is not the "WikiWay". Please just edit the topic in place.
Everything is considered to be a "work-in-progress". Remember someone
else may edit the original topic while you're working on your second
copy.

Please make sure that you delete this "scratch topic" when you're
through. To delete a topic you:

1. Click the "More" link in the linkbar near the top of the page.
2. Click the "Rename/move topic (all public webs) link
3. Choose "Trash" in the drop down box
4. Click the "Rename/Move" button.

> So far, I've made these changes:

FWIW If you were editing the original topic these changes could be
viewed with the "Diffs" link in the linkbar.

> I am planning on adding further changes soon:
>
> - Putting in a bit more explanation of what NTP is and does so that
>   GettingStarted is more self-contained, and so truly uninformed
>   people don't get confused by mistaken preconceptions.  E.g., the
>   fact that ntpd acts as both server and client is something people
>   Really Don't Get.

This really should be a separate topic (e.g. WhatIsNTP). We can use the
%INCLUDE% feature to include some or all of the NTP description in the
QuickStart.

BTW: TWiki provides a "WebNotify" service that sends e-mail notifications
when topics are modified (the notification interval is 2 hours).
Interested members may sign up for this service be adding their WikiName
to the WebNotify topic in the web that they are interested in.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>