[ntp:questions] NTP Performance...

john153 at libero.it john153 at libero.it
Thu Sep 4 15:11:54 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I' m using NTP daemon in Redhat 9 on my small
private network (5 PCs Celeron 500 Mhz).

My topology is simplex: each PC is directly
connected to an HUB (star topology).

I configured one of these PCs as a server
with these options in ntp.conf:

server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 5
driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
authenticate no

and these ntp.conf on clients:

server 10.10.37.183 (IP address of my server PC)
driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
authenticate no
keys /etc/ntp/keys

It seems to be ok...

My questions are: what accuracy or performance
do you think I have in my network?

What could be the reasonable
synchronization error between two PCs
with this configuration and topology?

< 1 msec ? < 10 msec ? <100 msec ? < 1 sec ?

I' d like to have an error < 1 msec, is it possible?

In your experience, what changes do you
think I have to do to reach such an accuracy?

Thanks in advance for your kind answer and obervations
and excuse me for the lenght of my mail.

Best regards,
Giovanni di Giacomo